Myalgic encephalomyelitis has no standard diagnosis or cure, and yet there are 20 million sufferers in the world, with 30,000 of them being children in the UK alone. It receives little research funding from government agencies in the UK, USA, Europe and worldwide.
For over 25 years the research that has taken place has caused a renaming of the disease to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which instead of bringing clarity, has brought confusion breaking CFS into multiple diagnosis, of which none of them were physical.
This misrepresentation has continued on both sides of the Atlantic, and worldwide.
In 2007 in the US the Centre of Disease Control and Prevention formed an investigative panel which concluded CFS could be seen as a public health problem, while currently not seen as a priority.
Thousands signed petitions to ask the CDC to change their definitions. Meanwhile in the UK the recommended treatment for ME remains as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy,which is recommended from the psychiatric lobby for the NICE (National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence) guidelines.
Today through controversy, intrigue, celebration and heartache the story of ME is developing with new research findings, making it more apparant that this is actually a transmissable disease, which could affect thousand if not millions more.
Our documentary follows a four year journey where our producer/director has followed a winding path to come up with her conclusion.
We at Doubled D Productions would like to thank all our generous contributors for their kind hearted support and positive energy throughout this campaign. Whilst we did not reach our target, we have connected with such an inspirational community across the continent which has only further fuelled our need to complete the documentary. The money raised will kick start filming in the UK, however with more developments coming through in Norway and again in the US, we will continue to seek more funding from alternative funding organisations.
Please keep following us via our facebook, and twitter as we will provide regular updates on our progress. We will not give up on this documentary and hope you all will continue to share the journey to finishing it with us!
Follow Us on Twitter @WHAT_ABOUT_M_E
- RT @Fighting4M_E: This is our wonderful badge we wear with pride! RT and feel free to use in honour of Karina http://t.co/PS1i4j7nHO 133 days ago
- Huge heartfelt thanks goes out to Eilidh Hewitt for the extremely generous donation to WHAT ABOUT ME? So grateful for your on-going support! 135 days ago
- Its all about @idfa this week. Can't wait to see new #documentaries and talk to some very important people about @WHAT_ABOUT_M_E #IDFA 144 days ago
- RT @actionforme: Useful DWP factsheet for DLA claimants re PIP rollout #MECFS http://t.co/1MzaLDB0RO 169 days ago
- Check out the link to the read the transcript for the FDA's Teleconference on ME and CFS drug development: http://t.co/KrNkG67gqK #ME_CFS 175 days ago