Myalgic encephalomyelitis has no standard diagnosis or cure, and yet there are 20 million sufferers in the world, with 30,000 of them being children in the UK alone. It receives little research funding from government agencies in the UK, USA, Europe and worldwide.
For over 25 years the research that has taken place has caused a renaming of the disease to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which instead of bringing clarity, has brought confusion breaking CFS into multiple diagnosis, of which none of them were physical.
This misrepresentation has continued on both sides of the Atlantic, and worldwide.
In 2007 in the US the Centre of Disease Control and Prevention formed an investigative panel which concluded CFS could be seen as a public health problem, while currently not seen as a priority.
Thousands signed petitions to ask the CDC to change their definitions. Meanwhile in the UK the recommended treatment for ME remains as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy,which is recommended from the psychiatric lobby for the NICE (National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence) guidelines.
Today through controversy, intrigue, celebration and heartache the story of ME is developing with new research findings, making it more apparent that this is actually a transmissible disease, which could affect thousand if not millions more.
Our documentary follows a four year journey where our producer/director has followed a winding path to come up with her conclusion.
We at Doubled D Productions would like to thank all our generous contributors for their kind hearted support and positive energy throughout this campaign. Whilst we did not reach our target, we have connected with such an inspirational community across the continent which has only further fuelled our need to complete the documentary. The money raised will kick start filming in the UK, however with more developments coming through in Norway and again in the US, we will continue to seek more funding from alternative funding organisations.
Please keep following us via our facebook, and twitter as we will provide regular updates on our progress. We will not give up on this documentary and hope you all will continue to share the journey to finishing it with us!
Follow Us on Twitter @WHAT_ABOUT_M_E
- #HappyThanksgiving ! Such a wonderful time to take stock of all that we have to be grateful for, this from the bottom of our hearts. 1 day ago
- RT @DoubleD_Pro: Off to @AFMOFFICIAL today, going to hit the ground running, exciting conversations to have about @WHAT_ABOUT_M_E #document… 21 days ago
- RT @DoubleD_Pro: Excited to be one of the 8,000 industry professionals off to #AFM2014 A big event with big conversations to be had! https:… 24 days ago
- RT @DoubleD_Pro: Santa Monica is calling us for @AFMOFFICIAL ! The schedule is packed with meetings and we are nearly set to go! #filmmakin… 25 days ago
- Pledges to support UK ME/CFS Biobank closes on 3rd October! See why it is so important with this new appeal film: http://t.co/M52tzLPdSJ 58 days ago